Talking About Politics: Trump's Unseemly Feud With a Dead Senator


Can you believe that Donald Trump said on television "I gave him (John McCain) the kind of funeral that he wanted,” but “didn’t get a thank you?”
Of course, I believe it. This is, after all, Donald Trump we are talking about, is it not?
The Donald is a combative, spiteful person. He has a habit of putting his sights on an individual - like the late Sen. McCain - or a group (such as the Central Park Five or immigrants from Central America) and vilifying them. In the case of Sen. McCain, the animus began when Trump declared his candidacy for President as a Republican in 2015, which McCain was opposed to. The feud, which Trump personalized as much as possible. escalated when he said he did not admire military people who “got caught,” (an allusion to McCain’s five and a half years-long stint as a prisoner of war during the Vietnam War).
He’s not a hero. He’s a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren’t captured. - Donald Trump, July 2015.
Trump, of course, was a young man of draft age during the Vietnam War. But like many children of wealthy and upper-middle-class families, the current President did not serve in Vietnam. Instead, he got four deferments because he was in college and one medical exemption (allegedly based on a “diagnosis” by a doctor as a favor for Fred Trump, the President’s father) for bone spurs.
So while John S. McCain III, the son and grandson of two Navy admirals for whom he was named, was incarcerated and tortured by North Vietnamese guards for almost six years, “Cadet Bone Spurs” was chasing women, living the good life and being handed “the keys to the kingdom” of the Trump Company by his wealthy parents.
Trump even had the gall to compare his busy sex life as a single man in the 1990s as his “personal Vietnam.”
It’s amazing, I can’t even believe it. I’ve been so lucky in terms of that whole world, it is a dangerous world out there. It’s like Vietnam, sort of. It is my personal Vietnam. I feel like a great and very brave soldier. - Donald Trump to Howard Stern, 1997
Trump hated John McCain for many reasons, some of them being political, but most of them being personal.
So, no. I’m not surprised that Trump said, “I gave him the kind of funeral that he wanted – which, as president, I had to approve. I don't care about this, but I didn't get a thank you. That is OK. We sent him on the way, but I wasn’t a fan of John McCain.”
I have to be honest, I’ve never liked him much. - Donald Trump, March 2019.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How many movies have been made based on Stephen King's 'It'?

Talking About Tom Clancy's 'Ryanverse': Was Jack Ryan a Republican or a Democrat?

Movie Review: 'PT-109'