'Star Wars' Collectibles & Toys Review: 'Star Wars Black Series': Finn (First Order Disguise)

Photo Credit and © 2017 Hasbro, Inc. and Lucasfilm Ltd. (LFL) 


On September 1, 2017, Hasbro released a "wave" of nine six-inch Black Series Star Wars action figures that included several characters as seen in the then-upcoming Star Wars - Episode VIII: The Last Jedi, as well as a few re-issues (AT-AT Driver, Snowtrooper, and Kylo Ren) from The Empire Strikes Back and The Force Awakens. This collection consists of:


  • #49: Maz Kanata
  • #50: Elite Praetorian Guard
  • #51: Finn (First Order Disguise)
  • #52: General Leia Organa
  • #53: Captain Poe Dameron
  • #31: AT-AT Driver
  • #35: Snowtrooper
  • #45: Kylo Ren
These figures were released in various regions of the U.S. as part of Lucasfilm's International Force Friday II event; however, I acquired two figures from this consignment (#49 Maz Kanata and #51 Finn (First Order Disguise) only recently as part of my birthday present from my sweetheart. 

Both of these figures portray characters that were introduced in 2015's Star Wars - Episode VII: The Force Awakens and returned in the second installment of the Sequel Trilogy, The Last Jedi. Maz Kanata has a short but plot-important cameo; former First Order stormtrooper (and reluctant member of the Resistance) Finn has a larger story arc in Rian Johnson's film. 



To carry out a mission crucial to the Resistance, Finn adopts a First Order officer's uniform, going undercover and doing his best to blend in among his former ranks.- Hasbro character description

The Black Series figure depicts the character played by British actor John Boyega as he appears in the middle portion of The Last Jedi, dressed like a junior officer in the First Order - the fanatical authoritarian regime that arose from the ashes of the defeated Galactic Empire in the years after the Battle of Endor and the deaths of Emperor Palpatine and Darth Vader. Here, Finn risks his life in a risky mission to infiltrate Supreme Leader Snoke's flagship (and mobile capital) Supremacy and save the small Resistance fleet that has survived the First Order's attack on its base. 

Finn (First Order Disguise) is dressed to kill (literally) in The Last Jedi. Photo credit and © 2017 Hasbro, Inc. and Lucasfilm Ltd. (LFL) 


Star Wars Black Series: Finn (First Order Disguise) comes in a black-and-red Black Series collection package that is not movie title-specific. Like most of the six-inch scale figures based on human or humanoid characters, Finn (First Order Disguise) has multiple points of articulation that allow collectors or fans to pose the figure more realistically. 

Per Hasbro's website: "This 6-inch-scale Finn (First Order Disguise) figure is carefully detailed to look like the character from Star Wars: The Last Jedi. This figure features premium detail and multiple points of articulation, and includes 2 character-specific accessories."

The accessories are:
  • First Order standard-issue blaster pistol
  • Riot baton
In addition, Finn's uniform cap, which is an updated version of the standard Imperial officer's cap as reimagined by the "Space Nazis in Space Argentina" First Order, is removable. 

A former First Order stormtrooper, Finn is considered a hero by the Resistance but a traitor by his former commander, Captain Phasma. Photo credit and © 2017 Hasbro, Inc. and Lucasfilm Ltd. (LFL)
My Take

I started collecting Star Wars figures when I received Kenner's Land Speeder and two 3.75-inch figures (C-3PO and R2-D2) for my 15th birthday. Since then, I acquired most of the Kenner vintage figures and vehicles from the original Star Wars trilogy; however, through a series of happenstances and natural disasters (such as Hurricane Wilma), I've lost some of my most prized possessions, including my first Land Speeder, my original X-Wing and TIE Fighter vehicles, and my 1984 Return of the Jedi Imperial Shuttle. I still have the majority of my 1978-1985 Kenner figures, though quite a few are now missing loose blasters and other weapons. (I also have lots of the figures from Kenner/Hasbro's later lines, and most of those are in their packages.)

As I've grown inevitably order and have had to adjust to living in a place where I don't have as much space for either storage or displayability, I've cut back on my Star Wars figure purchases. Nevertheless, I do buy a few figures per year whenever a new movie comes out, and my friend - who discovered my love of Star Wars and related collectibles almost four years ago - gives me a few figures or even vehicles on special occasions.

I didn't plan on leaving my collecting "comfort zone" of the 3.75 inch-scale action figures, but when I received the Darth Vader with Legacy Stand set back in 2017 as a Christmas gift, I've acquired at least 20 of the Black Series 6-inch figures. I've bought at least 12 of them on my own; the rest have been gifts. 

I doubt that I'll ever open my Finn (First Order Disguise) action figure; I don't have a lot of personal space at the moment, so I have to be extremely selective as to what will go on display and what doesn't. It's more likely that I'll either display the figure in its original package on one of my Ikea "Billy" bookshelves or store it in the closet till we figure out storage/display options. 

That having been said, I think Hasbro's Black Series figures are nicely done, especially when it comes to the sculpts and paint jobs that give them that most desired feature in movie collectibles: realism.


Kids and fans alike can imagine the biggest battles and missions in the Star Wars saga with figures from Star Wars The Black Series! With exquisite features and decoration, this series embodies the quality and realism that Star Wars devotees love. - From Hasbro's  Star Wars Black Series: Finn (First Order Disguise) product page 

Thanks to the computer-assisted design and computer-assisted manufacturing methods that were not available back in 1978, Hasbro's action figure makers have produced a reasonably life-like replica of John Boyega's reluctant hero dressed in the grey/black uniform of the First Order, an organization he defects from in the Sequel Trilogy after witnessing the massacre of peaceful village dwellers on Jakku. Even in its box, the Finn (First Order Disguise) looks incredibly detailed; you can see the small replica of the First Order insignia in silver on Finn's purloined officer's cap, as well as the four code cylinders that give First Order personnel access to restricted areas on the Supremacy.

All in all, Finn (First Order Disguise) is a really cool collectible, and it's still available at its MSRP of $19.99 at Target, Kmart, JC Penney, Walmart, Amazon or other online stores, such as Entertainment Earth. 

Until next time, Dear Reader, May the Force be with you. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How many movies have been made based on Stephen King's 'It'?

Talking About Tom Clancy's 'Ryanverse': Was Jack Ryan a Republican or a Democrat?

Movie Review: 'PT-109'