Christmas Wish Lists Across the Decades: 2000s Edition

A few days ago, Harry Turtledove, one of the authors I follow on Twitter (and the only one with whom I interact regularly on that social media platform), posted this whimsical Christmas wish list from the 1970s:



#70sChristmasList Harvest gold refrigerator Avocado stove Betamax Quadraphonic sound system English Leather, or maybe Brut Cargo pants for the guys Hot pants for the women Platform shoes A leisure suit A case of Miller Lite Or of US-brewed (aka ruined) Löwenbräu

I thought this was clever, amusing, and cool, so I replied with a #70sChristmasList of my own:

#70s ChristmasList


  • Stereo system with LP/8-track/AM-FM radio
  • Brut, or English Leather
  • Wacky Packages
  • Star Wars figures (by Kenner)
  • Billy Joel albums
  • Star Wars OST 2-LP set
  • Superman OST 2-LP set
  • Classical music LPs
  • A Bridge Too Far book



Over the past few days, I've been going through the decades (the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s) and thinking of typical Christmas wish lists based on the trends of the times, as well as my particular needs or wants.




To be clear, although I sometimes did ask for some of the least expensive items in these lists, more often than not I would purchase the pricier things throughout the year and pay for them myself. I worked as a ghostwriter and received Income Share from my product reviews at the now-shuttered consumer review site Epinions, so I didn't really need to make Christmas lists full of requests for expensive electronics.

For this edition, the default year is 2008, although I include items from other calendar years as well.

#2000sChristmasList


  • High-Definition Digital TV
  • Samsung Blu-ray Player
  • The Star Wars Trilogy DVD box set (2004)
  • Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures DVD box set (2003)
  • Samsung 5-Disc DVD Player
  • Sid Meier's Civilization IV Complete Edition
  • Classical music albums on CD
  • Star Wars collectibles, especially Kenner/Hasbro Cinema Scenes
  • Casablanca 60th Anniversary DVD (2002)
  • Jaws 25th Anniversary DVD (2000)
  • 24 (TV series) Season DVD box sets (2002-2011)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How many movies have been made based on Stephen King's 'It'?

Talking About Tom Clancy's 'Ryanverse': Was Jack Ryan a Republican or a Democrat?

Movie Review: 'PT-109'