Christmas Wish Lists Across the Decades: 1990s Edition

A few days ago, writer Harry Turtledove (a novelist who specializes in the alternate history sub-genre of science fiction and is known for his Worldwar series, as well as his novel about Spanish-occupied Britain, Ruled Britannia) posted this whimsical #70sChristmasList tweet on Twitter:


#70sChristmasList Harvest gold refrigerator Avocado stove Betamax Quadraphonic sound system English Leather, or maybe Brut Cargo pants for the guys Hot pants for the women Platform shoes A leisure suit A case of Miller Lite Or of US-brewed (aka ruined) Löwenbräu

Inspired by Mr. Turtledove, I've decided to share similar Christmastime wishlists across the decades, starting with the 1970s and ending with the 2010s.

The wishlists are not real lists that I handed out to family and friends before the holidays. I mean, sure, Mom (and sometimes my older half-sister) would ask me to write a short list of things I wanted for either Christmas or my birthday, but more often than not my friends, who knew my tastes pretty well, didn't need any prompts from me. Rather, the lists represent my perceived needs and wants in that particular time period.

By the 1990s, I had made the transition from using my Platinum Edition Apple IIe for work to MS-DOS/Windows-based PCs. I still used the Apple for gaming until the monitor gave out in 1997, but as far as my professional endeavors (which included freelance communications consulting and ghostwriting), I needed a more standardized computer. My first PCs were custom-built from parts by computer-savvy friends; I would not get my next store-bought computer (an eMachines PC) until 2002 or so.

My 1970s-era stereo set also died in the late 1980s, so when I needed to replace it, I wanted to get a compact disc player. I'd been wanting one since CDs were introduced in 1983, but as in all things electronics, I had to wait till the price of players came down to a level that I could afford.

So, without further ado, here's my Christmas Wish List, 1990s style; the default year is 1997, although the list includes items that were available throughout the decade


© 1991 MicroProse Software



  • Productivity software, such as Microsoft Word
  • Computer games, including Silent Service II, Red Storm Rising, Sid Meier's Civilization, F-15 Strike Eagle II and III, and Star Wars: X-Wing
  • A portable stereo system with CD player, audio-cassette player, and AM-FM radio (Mom gave me one for my birthday in March of 1990. At the time, it was priced around $100.00 ($196.79 in 2019 dollars). I only enjoyed it for three months before someone somehow got in our house (which had all the doors locked) and stole it along with my small stash of CDs. Mom replaced it a few days after the burglary, but still...
  • CD versions of albums I'd owned on LP, including the 1977 Star Wars soundtrack
  • The RCA/Victor 2-CD sets of the original soundtracks from Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi
  • Billy Joel: Greatest Hits, Volumes 1-III Limited Edition box set
  • Star Wars Trilogy: The Special Edition widescreen VHS box set
  • Schindler's List widescreen VHS two-tape set
  • Casablanca: 50th Anniversary VHS tape
  • Star Wars: The Power of the Force collectibles
Jabba the Hutt's Dancers Cinema Scene is a 1990s three-figure set from the Star Wars: The Power of the Force line. © 1998 Hasbro, Inc. and Lucasfilm Ltd. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How many movies have been made based on Stephen King's 'It'?

Talking About Tom Clancy's 'Ryanverse': Was Jack Ryan a Republican or a Democrat?

Movie Review: 'PT-109'