Fifty Years On: Remembering July 1969

Apollo 11 mission insignia. I was six years old when American astronauts landed on the Moon half a century ago. 
Earlier this week, I watched director Todd Douglas Miller's 2019 documentary Apollo 11, a 93-minute "direct cinema" account of the first Apollo Project manned mission to land on the Moon. I thought it was a good way to begin commemorating the 50th Anniversary of one of the most significant human achievements in history, even though in some ways it left me feeling more than a little sad.

Fifty years ago today, Apollo 11 was still four days away from its liftoff. American astronauts had orbited the Moon twice already by then; Apollo 8 was the first manned flight to orbit the Moon in December of 1968, while Apollo 10 (May 18-26, 1969) was a dress rehearsal in which the Command Service Module and the Lunar Module flew with three astronauts in the F mission that tested the equipment and maneuvers necessary for a successful lunar landing. But the G mission (the actual landing itself) was still days away on July 12, 1969.

I still remember - though the details are a bit hazy - the feeling of anticipation most people felt at the time before Apollo 11 left Earth on Wednesday, July 16, 1969. Even in Colombia, where I was living in a large apartment in Bogota along with my mom and my older half-sister, the mission was on everyone's minds and all over Colombian media. Most of my family, especially my U.S.-educated maternal grandfather, was quietly supportive, although some of my cousins, especially those who were in their 20s and 30s, were highly critical. I remember the common theme in their opposition was "It's such a waste of money. With so much poverty here, why doesn't the United States spend it on the poor rather than on a space mission to the Moon?"

To my chagrin, my older half-sister tended to echo these sentiments whenever the topic of Project Apollo came up in conversations. She had recently graduated from a Catholic all-girls' high school in West Virginia and had rejoined our little core family after four years of being away, so I was just getting to know her. At age six, I adored her, but I found her lack of enthusiasm for the Apollo mission to be disconcerting, especially since Mom and Abuelito Quique (my grandpa) were all for it.

I think, in all honesty, that these vivid memories of July 1969 are bittersweet because they remind of my now-dead parents, grandparents, and aunts and uncle. They were still alive during this exciting time in history, as was my cousin Mauricio Restrepo Martinez, who died only a few years after due to heart disease while he was still in his 20s.

It also saddens me to see, in retrospect, that there was always a wide divide between my older half-sister and me. The almost 13-year difference in ages was a factor; she was already a young adult while I was six and just starting first grade at Colegio El Nogal, a private co-ed Catholic school whose owner/principal was a friend of the family's.  I idolized my sister (for that's how I used to think of her), but even then I found myself getting annoyed with her anti-Americanism and her disdain for anything the U.S. did.

Me? School was out, and I loved being on vacation. I was also excited about the Apollo 11 mission and read every newspaper article and watched every newscast that covered the preparations for the historic occasion.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How many movies have been made based on Stephen King's 'It'?

Talking About Tom Clancy's 'Ryanverse': Was Jack Ryan a Republican or a Democrat?

Movie Review: 'PT-109'