'Star Wars' Collectibles & Toys Review: Hasbro Star Wars: The Black Series Death Star Trooper

Photo Credit: Hasbro, Inc. © 2017 Hasbro and Lucasfilm Ltd. (LFL)


In the Spring of 2018, even weeks before its scheduled April 13 rollout, many retailers began selling Death Star Trooper, the 60th figure in Hasbro's Star Wars: The Black Series collection of 6-inch scale action figures. Based on the black-garbed Imperial personnel assigned to serve aboard the original Death Star seen in 1977's Star Wars (aka Star Wars - Episode IV: A New Hope), Death Star Trooper is a well-made repainted version of 2017's 40th Anniversary figure, Death Squad Commander and was part of a The Black Series wave that included Jawa, Han Solo, Grand Moff Tarkin, Range Trooper, and Lando Calrissian. 


Two Death Star Troopers guard the conference room in the Empire's original planet-killing battle station in this scene from Star Wars: A New Hope. © 1977  20th Century Fox Film Corp. 

In the original Star Wars Trilogy (1977-1983), the black-clad Imperial troopers are seen primarily as background characters and act as guards to VIPs such as Darth Vader, Governor Wilhuff Tarkin, and Admiral Conan Antonio Motti aboard the Death Star battle stations and Vader's flagship, the Super Star Destroyer Executor.



"And now, Your Highness, we will discuss the location of your hidden base." As Lord Darth Vader threatens the captive Princess Leia Organa in Cell 2187 with an IT-0 interrogation droid (just outside the cell in this frame), two Death Star Troopers stand in front of the open cell doors. © 1977 20th Century Fox Film Corp.


Death Star Troopers were the elite of the Imperial Navy who were stationed aboard the first and second Death Star. They were responsible for piloting the super-structure to its destinations and firing the superlaser on the orders of those in command of the station. They wore black uniforms and flared, reflective helmets. - Packaging blurb, Star Wars: The Black Series - Death Star Trooper

What's in the Package?

Promotional photo of Hasbro Star Wars: The Black Series Death Star Trooper. Photo Credit: Hasbro, Inc. © 2017 Hasbro and Lucasfilm Ltd. (LFL)
As I said in my introduction, Death Star Trooper is a nicely repainted version of the Death Squad Commander from The Black Series's 2017 40th Anniversary collection, which consisted of modern six-inch scale reimaginations of the original Kenner Toys 3.75-inch scale action figures that debited in early 1978. To be honest, I can't discern any differences between the two figures, as the variations are cosmetic and extremely subtle. To my inexpert eye, the only major difference is that Death Star Trooper (#60) comes in a red-and-black Star Wars: The Black Series box whilst Death Squad Commander comes in a carded bubble pack rendered in Kenner's 1978 Star Wars collection livery. 

For context, check out the publicity photo of the 40th Anniversary Legacy "Kenner" display stand below.

Promotional photo of Hasbro's 40th Anniversary Legacy display stand. Death Squad Commander is the third figure from the left. Photo Credit: Hasbro, Inc. © 2017 Hasbro and Lucasfilm Ltd. (LFL) 


Per Hasbro's official product webpage: 


This 6-inch-scale Death Star Trooper figure inspired by Star Wars: A New Hope includes 2 character-inspired accessories, so kids and collectors can imagine recreating amazing Star Wars cinematic action. Figure features premium detail and 9 points of articulation.

Death Star Trooper comes with:

  • Removable helmet
  • DH-17 Imperial-issue blaster pistol.

My Take

In advance of my upcoming birthday, I decided to treat myself to a small batch of Hasbro's Star Wars: The Black Series action figures. This not only commemorates my 57th birthday, but it also observes the 42nd anniversary of the start of my Star Wars collection. When I was 15, my friend Patrick Blanchard's parents presented me with Luke's Landspeeder and my first two Kenner action figures, See-Threepio (C-3PO) and Artoo-Detoo (R2-D2) for my first birthday in the East Wind Lake Village townhouse that was my home for nearly 40 years. 

Kids and fans alike can imagine the biggest battles and missions in the Star Wars saga with figures from Star Wars The Black Series! With exquisite features and decoration, this series embodies the quality and realism that Star Wars devotees love. - Hasbro Star Wars: The Black Series product page


I'm sure that if I'd bothered to do a bit of research before doing my shopping, I might have realized that since I already own the rebooted version of Death Squad Commander  (which is a more accurate rendition of this "background character" than the 1978 Kenner figure; the original '78 collectible is essentially a grey-uniformed Imperial officer with rank tabs painted on its left breast and topped with the flaring black helmet), I could have bought a different figure based on a character I don't have. (Say, something along the lines of a Sith Trooper from The Rise of Skywalker, perhaps?) 

Still, having two nearly-identical figures means that I can probably keep my 40th Anniversary Death Squad Commander in its original "1978 Kenner Toys" carded bubble pack and place Death Star Trooper on the Legacy Display stand on that happy day when someone handy with tools helps me put up a floating shelf on one wall of my writing room/man cave. 

Still, "dupe" figure or not, Death Star Trooper is a nice addition to my modest Star Wars: The Black Series collection. Right now he is displayed in his original package on one of my Ikea "Billy" shelves that I originally bought for my former house in Miami but now have in my study here. Death Star Trooper "stands" next to my Star Wars: The Black Series Grand Moff Tarkin figure, which is also still in its original red-black package. 

I am a huge fan of Star Wars: The Black Series' six-inch scale figures, even though storage/display area limitations and financial considerations prevent me from purchasing more than a handful of select figures per year. As such, even though he is a variant of a figure I already have, I do not regret buying Death Star Trooper and would recommend the figure to any true Star Wars fan or collector. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How many movies have been made based on Stephen King's 'It'?

Talking About Tom Clancy's 'Ryanverse': Was Jack Ryan a Republican or a Democrat?

Movie Review: 'PT-109'