Coming Soon to 'A Certain Point of View'

Cover art for Across the Stars: Deluxe Edition.  © 2019 Deutsche Grammophon.

Hi, there, Constant Reader. It's early afternoon this Friday 13, 2020 here in my corner of Florida. Here, as elsewhere throughout the world, we are beginning to feel anxiety over COVD-19, aka the novel coronavirus that is on everyone's minds. I'm a bit on edge myself; last week we were at Disney Hollywood Studios to visit Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, and although I didn't see anyone sneezing or coughing, one never knows where the COVD-19 virus might be lurking. So, even though I don't feel sick, in the back of my mind I'm like Oh, my God. I was in a place where there were huge crowds from all over. What if just one of those visitors had COVD-19 but was still asymptomatic? 

Anyway, I don't feel sick at the moment, but I do fret when I get a headache or even feel a slight urge to sneeze. It's driving me crazy. So much so that even though I've been awake since 8 or so, only now (1:48 PM) am I starting a blog post for this Friday the 13th.

As you can see, this is basically a "Coming Attractions" post; I've made a few purchases this month to fill my need for entertainment, including the Deluxe Edition of Across the Stars, a slightly longer version of a Deutsche Grammophon recording featuring German violinist Anne-Sophie Mutter and her performances of some of composer John Williams' iconic movie themes in all-new arrangements done exclusively by Maestro Williams for Ms. Mutter.

I bought the original edition of Across the Stars when it was released last August by Deutsche Grammophon and I reviewed it about a week after Amazon delivered it to me. The Deluxe Edition was released a month later, but I decided to hold off until after the holidays to get it.



The differences between the two editions? Well, the original release of Across the Stars has 12 tracks; Across the Stars: Deluxe Edition has 17, including a new rendition of Princess Leia's Theme, as well as Remembrances, The Chairman's Theme, Markings, and A Prayer for Peace. 

In addition, although the art on the packaging is the same, the Deluxe Edition comes in a larger slipcover that holds the 17-track CD and a DVD of Anne-Sophie Mutter in Conversation with John Williams. 


© 1982 Universal Studios. Blu-ray packaging © 2017 Universal Studios Home Entertainment


Another recent addition to my Blu-ray collection in my "to be reviewed" list is Universal Studios Home Entertainment's 2017 BD of Carl Reiner's Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid. I have this movie on DVD, but I love seeing movies on the high definition discs, even though I've read that the clarity of HD makes it easy to detect the difference between shots from classic noir films from the 1940s and the black and white cinematography of 1981.

Anyway, those are two of my new acquisitions. I also have a few books to read and critique, as well as several new Star Wars: The Black Series figures I bought before, during, and after my trip to Disney Hollywood Studios.

Well, that about wraps it up for this edition of Coming Soon to A Certain Point of View. So until next time, I'll catch you on the sunny side of things!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How many movies have been made based on Stephen King's 'It'?

Talking About Tom Clancy's 'Ryanverse': Was Jack Ryan a Republican or a Democrat?

Movie Review: 'PT-109'