Bloggin' On: My DVD Collection By the Numbers

Screenshot of my Blu-ray.com DVD Collection A-C page. 

Before I bought my first Blu-ray discs (Batman Begins and Spider-Man 3) in 2009, I already had a nice collection of movies and TV shows on the then-dominant DVD format. I probably had around 80-90% of the DVDs I have now back then, and even though lately I have been focusing on new releases in Blu-ray instead of trying to replace all of my DVDs on a one-to-one basis, I still have had to buy a few new titles that are still only available on the older format.  Also, some titles, such as Paramount/Lucasfilm's The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones (three boxed sets) have not been offered on Blu-ray.

As is the case with my Blu-ray collection, I do not have a huge DVD library. As of this blog post, I own 157 feature films and 78 TV seasons, and a grand total of 186 SKUs. That's not an impressive number; I know some folks that have - easily - DVD collections that are four, five, even six times larger than mine. But it is a nice collection that I've been slowly building since mid-1997, when I bought my first DVD (which I played on my computer's DVD-ROM drive till 2000, which is when I purchased my first DVD player and a TV with the proper A/V input ports).

C-J page on Blu-ray.com
Having checked out my Blu-ray collection's stats on my Collection page on Blu-ray.com, I did the same number crunching for my DVD library. As with the Blu-rays, the stats are divided according to category. The breakdown, therefore, is divided thusly:
  • By studio
  • By genre
  • By production year
  • By MPAA rating
As of March 12, 2020, my DVD library consists of 157 movies, 78 TV seasons, and 186 SKUs. 

DVD Collection Breakdown


By Genre

13.0% Action
12.3% Adventure
12.2% Drama
8.9% Sci-Fi
7.1% War
6.7% Thriller
4.7% History
4.6% Comedy
3.8% Epic
3.0% Fantasy
2.8% Crime
2.6% Romance
2.4% Period
1.6% Melodrama
1.6% Documentary
1.6% Horror
1.3% Mystery
1.2% Supernatural
8.6% Comic book, Biography, Animation, Coming of Age, Teen, Dark humor, Family, Heist, Psychological thriller, Holiday, Music, Imaginary, Sport, Foreign, Western, Short 

Relative Genre Distribution:

Strongly overrepresented: Documentary, Epic, History, Melodrama, War
Overrepresented: Adventure, Coming of age, Heist, Period, Sci-Fi
Underrepresented: Animation, Crime, Film-Noir, Horror, Sport, Western
Strongly underrepresented: Anime, Erotic, Family, Foreign, Martial arts, Music, Musical, Nature, Other, Surreal 


J-S page of my DVD Collection on Blu-ray.com
By Studio

21.5% Paramount Pictures
15.6% Warner Bros.
12.9% 20th Century Fox
8.6% Universal Studios
8.1% Sony Pictures 
4.3% PBS
4.3% Dreamworks
2.2% HBO

I sure have a lot of S-titled DVDs!
By Production Year

3.7% 2010s
27.3% 2000s
25.9% 1990s
20.8% 1980s
13.0% 1970s
5.1% 1960s
2.8% 1950s
1.4% 1940s

And, finally, T-Y (no Z). 
 By MPAA Rating

24.8% PG
23.8% Not Rated
23.3% R
18.0% PG-13
2.9% TV-14
2.4% Unrated
1.5% TV-Y7-FV
1.0% TV-MA

So, there you have it, Dear Reader, a statistical breakdown of my entire DVD collection. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How many movies have been made based on Stephen King's 'It'?

Talking About Tom Clancy's 'Ryanverse': Was Jack Ryan a Republican or a Democrat?

Movie Review: 'PT-109'