Adventures in Screenwriting, Continued: And Now...We Wait

Photo Credit: Pixabay
I could be just a writer very easily. I am not a writer. I am a screenwriter, which is half a filmmaker. … But it is not an art form, because screenplays are not works of art. They are invitations to others to collaborate on a work of art. – Paul Schrader

After a couple of days of anxious waiting, I finally heard from my friend and writing partner, actor-director Juan Carlos Hernandez, about the revised screenplay for Happy Days Are Here Again. 

Juan sent me a couple of texts yesterday; they were not very long or detailed. but overall they were rather encouraging.

Basically, he said that he had spent several days breaking the script down to determine how to best interpret it. At first, he had a bit of difficulty trying to understand the third act, but he added that after a second read-through, "I finally got it."

I don’t think screenplay writing is the same as writing — I mean, I think it’s blueprinting. – Robert Altman

Juan is a guy of few words, especially on texts, but he was highly complimentary about the new, revised screenplay. He says my style has improved, especially when it comes to dialogue and action elements.

He also seems to be content with the script I emailed him on Wednesday. He didn't ask for more changes or jokes, although I'm pretty sure that there will be on-site changes when Happy Days Are Here Again goes into principal photography.


The wise screen writer is he who wears his second-best suit, artistically speaking, and doesn’t take things too much to heart. He should have a touch of cynicism, but only a touch. The complete cynic is as useless to Hollywood as he is to himself. He should do the best he can without straining at it. He should be scrupulously honest about his work, but he should not expect scrupulous honesty in return. He won’t get it. And when he has had enough, he should say goodbye with a smile, because for all he knows he may want to go back. – Raymond Chandler

Bottom line: Everything seems to be going well with the new script.  Juan's son A.J. told me that he likes the screenplay and that he's eager to play the part I wrote for him. He also says the characters are well-defined and not cartoon-like at all.  We are hoping to shoot it later this fall, when A.J. is on holiday break from his college studies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How many movies have been made based on Stephen King's 'It'?

Talking About Tom Clancy's 'Ryanverse': Was Jack Ryan a Republican or a Democrat?

Movie Review: 'PT-109'