Old Gamers Never Die: Wait, There are More Single Missions in 'Cold Waters'? Yep. There Are!

Ka-Boom! A Chinese fighter burns in its handstand in Cold Waters' Strike from the Sea Single Mission. © 2017 Killerfish Games

 I've been playing Killerfish Games' Cold Waters for nearly nine months, and all this time I've thought that there were only eight Single Mission engagements in this 2017 submarine combat simulator and spiritual heir to MicroProse's1988 classic, Red Storm Rising. 

How wrong I was. 

There are 17 Single Missions in all, starting with the relatively easy sub-versus-sub The Duel all the way to Foreign Trade, a sub-versus-convoy mission.

In addition, the last six missions allow players to take on the burden of command of either Soviet or Chinese subs and pit their boats against the best antisubmarine warfare (ASW) forces in the U.S. Navy.

I have to admit that I would have discovered the nine missions that follow Junks on Parade had I bothered to read the manual (I've glanced at it a few times, but since it's a digital PDF document and not a printed "hard copy" book, I always forget to read it. Back in the late Eighties and Nineties, the first thing I did whenever I bought a new computer game was...read the manual. Now that I do most of my game-buying at Steam, I don't.)

I wrote a longer, more detailed version of this story over on my WordPress blog, but here are some cool screenshots I took recently while playing Cold Waters. 










 Enjoy!

And as always, all game graphics and visual design elements from Cold Waters are © 2017 Killerfish Games.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How many movies have been made based on Stephen King's 'It'?

Talking About Tom Clancy's 'Ryanverse': Was Jack Ryan a Republican or a Democrat?

Movie Review: 'PT-109'