Old Gamers Never Die: A Quick SITREP from the Training Grounds in MicroProse's 'Second Front'

The "main title" page from Second Front. © 2023 Hexdraw and MicroProse

 Hi, there, Dear Reader.

Well, this is just a quick update about my progress with Second Front, a new turn-based tactical level game set during the Second World War created by Hexdraw and published on January 31 by MicroProse.

Dislodging this German squad proved impossible the first time I played the Advance tutorial. © 2023 Hexdraw and MicroProse

I’ve only played Second Front for - according to my statistics on Steam – 6.4 hours since I bought it last week when it dropped. Most of that time has been spent on exploring the various tutorials for Infantry units and Armored units; I tried one “real” battle to see if I could get by without “basic training,” but I found out – the hard way – that I’m not ready to lead anyone into combat.

I had a tough time with the first Infantry tutorial, but I eventually figured out how to advance properly without getting my squad killed on the first turn. I also learned how to fire certain weapons, such as mortars and antitank guns. So, I guess I’m learning something.

I do better in the Armored tutorials, but only marginally better. I’m pretty good in the No Move, Fire Tanks scenario, which involves firing at immobilized German Stug III assault guns with 4 M4A3 Sherman tanks in stationary positions. The goal here is to destroy as many of those targets, which are often under some sort of cover, as you can without moving any of your Shermans.

A view of one of my M4A3 Shermans in the stationary gunnery tutorial. © 2023 Hexdraw and MicroProse

Here, I've destroyed three out of four German assault guns in the exercise. The screengrab shows that I am about to fire an armor piercing round from my Sherman tank. The game is showing me the probability stats for a kill. © 2023 Hexdraw and MicroProse


I have destroyed four out of four Stugs several times, but often I’ve had to settle for three out of four or even two out of four.

Sometimes, the enemy crew members - or some of them, anyway - survive. © 2023 Hexdraw and MicroProse

© 2023 Hexdraw and MicroProse


This morning, for instance, I destroyed two assault guns, damaged another, and totally missed the fourth one.

I am tempted to try it again in a bit, but I have to write a post for my WordPress blog, so that training session will have to wait till the evening. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How many movies have been made based on Stephen King's 'It'?

Talking About Tom Clancy's 'Ryanverse': Was Jack Ryan a Republican or a Democrat?

Movie Review: 'PT-109'