Old Gamers Never Die: Cool Images from a Session of 'Cold Waters'

© 2017 Killerfish Games

 As you know, my current favorite computer game is Cold Waters (2017), a submarine warfare simulator set in an alternate timeline where the Cold War turned hot. Inspired by MicroProse Software's 1988 classic Red Storm Rising, this game from Australian game studio Killerfish Games takes players into the cold waters of either the North Atlantic or the Pacific Ocean and depicts three separate and chilling scenarios set in alternate versions of 1968, 1984, and 2000. 

I play Cold Waters at least twice a week on average, but there are times when I play the game a bit more. I enjoy it more than most of my other games because: 

  • It does remind me of the many hours that I played Red Storm Rising back when I was younger
  • It has kickass graphics
  • It has immersive sound and dialogue
  • It is full of heart-pounding action and intense situations full of suspense and drama
  • Did I mention the kickass graphics?
  • It is challenging and makes players want to learn more about Cold War era subs and submnariners
I bought this game in the summer of 2020. Since then, I've played through two of the three Campaigns in Cold Waters (the 1984 and 2000 campaigns) and have tried out most of the 17 scripted Single Missions. 

I have written extensively about Cold Waters in my WordPress blog, A Certain Point of View, Too, including the review of the game and a couple of playthrough narratives.  If you want to learn more about Cold Waters in detail, you can do so there. 

Today, though, I would like to share some screen grabs from today's session of Cold Waters. 

As I wrote in today's blog post on WordPress:

The Time: 13 November 1984, 1300  Lima

The Place: The Arctic Ocean

The Mission: Intercept and sink a Soviet Don-class (Soviet designation Project 310 Batur) submarine and any REDFLT submarines it might be replenishing and/or rearming. These sub tenders are high-value targets and are likely to have support submarine, surface ship, and naval aircraft.






















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How many movies have been made based on Stephen King's 'It'?

Talking About Tom Clancy's 'Ryanverse': Was Jack Ryan a Republican or a Democrat?

Movie Review: 'PT-109'