Sad News from New Hometown, Florida

Image by John Hain from Pixabay

 Hello, Dear Reader. As I start writing this, it's almost 9 AM Eastern in what I'll call New Hometown, Florida (as opposed to Miami, which is where I lived when I started this blog a decade ago). Right now the temperature is 77℉ (25℃) under mostly sunny skies. With a south-southwesterly breeze blowing at 5 MPH (9 KM/H) and humidity at 93%, the feels-like temperature is also 77℉ (25℃). Today's forecast calls for a high of 87℉ (30℃) and scattered showers throughout the day. 

I'm sorry that I have not written here since September 29, but as you know, there are several reasons why I have been relatively slow in creating content for A Certain Point of View.

First, as you know, Facebook blocked this blog in late March because some Trump supporter (or supporters) didn't like what I was writing about their beloved Donald Trump (aka Mango Mussolini or Orange Caligula). This forced me to create a "sister blog" over on WordPress — A Certain Point of View, Tooto compensate for that unfortunate decision on the part of the Social Network. 

At first, I thought I'd post on both blogs on alternate days ﹘ you know, like one day here, the next day there. But building up a new blog and gathering enough followers to make the effort of creating content takes a great deal of time and work, and because I have had to invest some money into the WordPress account so I could get features only available to Premium accounts, I feel compelled to focus more on A Certain Point of View, Too than on this blog. 

And so far, my efforts are paying off, even though the new blog is not as traffic-heavy as this one. A look at my WordPress stats page for the year so far looks like this:


And per my Insights section of the Stats page, here are my numbers as of this writing:

  • Posts: 221
  • Views: 8,610
  • Visitors: 5,160
A Certain Point of View, Too is only a bit over six months old, but I now have 162 followers there, as opposed to just 23 here after a decade of existence. If it were the other way 'round, I'd understand. It's a  new blog on WordPress, a new kid on the block, and so on and so forth. 

So, that's the benign reason for my shift from being an everyday Blogger contributor to becoming a whenever-I-can Blogger contributor.  

The not-so-benign reason is that after nearly five years together, four of them spent living in the same house in New Hometown, the woman I loved and I are no longer a couple. The immediate cause is that an old flame from her youth reconnected with her on Facebook; he apparently has been madly in love with her since they were young, and the now Ex apparently wasn't as "in love" with me as it looked. So, even though I live under her roof, help with the bills, and until recently slept in the same bed with her, she's suddenly madly in love with the guy.

I should have seen it coming. From the beginning, we've had a lot of ups, downs, disagreements, and even verbal fights. She's an extremely sweet and generous woman, don't get me wrong, but she also has a serious drinking problem that stems from social anxiety, two bad marriages, and other issues that I can't and won't get into. She has to have at least one strong alcoholic beverage every night, and on the weekends, her favorite thing to do before she suddenly decided to hook up with her new boyfriend was to get seriously drunk on Friday nights (she has to work during the week, so she limits herself to one drink Monday through Thursday) and all day on Saturdays. 

I am not a teetotaler by any means, but I have seen what alcohol abuse does to a person on more than one occasion, so I try to not overindulge. I assiduously avoid drinking when I am unhappy; alcohol is, after all, a depressant, and unfortunately, I am rarely a "happy drunk."  

The Ex, though, uses booze not just to get over social anxiety, but also to cope with the stresses from work (especially now that she works from home due to the COVID-19 pandemic), deal with her three adult kids and their issues, and try to give me some sort of home life after the death of my mom.

That is our main source of conflict, although we have quite a few more, including the fact that she is a Trump supporter and I am definitely not.  

The other factor, though, is that although she and I used to have lots of fun together when we first met - no kids around, so we were intimate a lot - now...we don't. 

She still likes me, don't get me wrong, but she doesn't love me.

I have thought about moving, but there is no waiting list for Section Eight housing at the city level here, and there is no clear-cut information on a county-level waiting list either. And I can't go back to Miami. I no longer have family members I can turn to there, and I know for a fact that getting on a Section Eight waiting list there takes years.

So, yeah, Dear Reader. I am sad.

Overwhelmed.

Feeling worthless.

Alone.

Frustrated.

Depressed, even.   

Comments

  1. I'm wondering if you've thought about using one of your blog sites for a particular topic, and then the other for other topics. From what I've seen, your blogs tend to cover specific topics: action figure reviews, music reviews, movie reviews, book reviews, game reviews, politics and personal stuff. If there was a way of determining which blog gets the most views per topic, it might be easier to keep a regular flow on each one, that is, when you have an action figure review, it automatically gets posted on the one that gets the most views for action figure reviews, and so on. Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In all seriousness, before I moved to my current city in Florida, I did, indeed, create another Blogger blog that was going to focus on reviews. No political posts, no personal life posts, no attempts-at-satire humor posts. Just...reviews.

      I ended up not doing it. It just seemed too...structured for my taste.

      To be honest, if some Trump-supporting Facebook keyboard warrior had not reported some of my posts to the so-called "moderators" as being "spam" or in violation of Facebook's rather porous "Community Standards," the WordPress blog would not exist. It wouldn't have been necessary for me to create "A Certain Point of View, Too" in late March, and I'd be at the 1800-post mark by now.

      Oddly enough, I have more followers on WordPress than on Blogger, even though this blog is 10 years old (!) and its sister blog is seven months old. Weird, but true.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How many movies have been made based on Stephen King's 'It'?

Talking About Tom Clancy's 'Ryanverse': Was Jack Ryan a Republican or a Democrat?

Movie Review: 'PT-109'