For the Love of Movies: Which is the one movie you have watched more than three times in a row?

Before the advent of home video, in any format (VHS, DVD, Blu-ray, or digital download)? That’s easy.

Star Wars.

Or, as it’s been officially renamed (since 1981): Star Wars - Episode IV: A New Hope.


© 1977 20th Century Fox Film Corporation


Now, Star Wars was not the first movie that I saw more than once in theaters (for the purposes of this answer, home video/television broadcasts don’t count). That honor, for lack of a better word, goes to this 1977 movie, which opened a couple of weeks after George Lucas’s space-fantasy film.

© 1977 MGM//United Artists

When Star Wars premiered in May of 1977, I was more into military history than I was into science fiction/space fantasy. In fact, I didn’t want to see Star Wars that summer - even though almost all of my friends told me it was a “must-see” event.

I saw A Bridge Too Far twice within a period of two weeks. My mom was not terribly thrilled to drive me to the theater to see the same flick twice, but since she was merely dropping me off at the mall and didn’t have to watch it with me, she just said, “It’s your allowance; spend it however you wish. I just don’t see the appeal of watching the same movie twice.”

I finally saw Star Wars in October; remember, videocassetes and VCRs existed in 1977, but only very wealthy people owned them because they were still expensive, so theatrical runs for megahit movies were often extended for weeks, even months back then. I remember going into the theater still a bit skeptical…and exiting two hours later with the zeal of a newfound convert.

I saw Star Wars two more times between October and Christmas of 1977.

I saw it one more time in January of 1978. That makes it four times…consecutively. And in theaters, mind you.

Including the 1997 Special Edition re-release, I ended up seeing it 10 times in theaters.

On home video since 1984? Don’t ask. I’ve lost count.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How many movies have been made based on Stephen King's 'It'?

Talking About Tom Clancy's 'Ryanverse': Was Jack Ryan a Republican or a Democrat?

Movie Review: 'PT-109'