Musings for Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Hi, there, Constant Reader. It's now 3:29 p.m. EST in Miami, Florida. The current temperature is a summery 86 degrees Fahrenheit under cloudy skies. With humidity at 54% and a south-southwesterly breeze blowing at 10 mph (with gusts of up to 30 mph), the feels-like temperature is 85 degrees Fahrenheit. Even though I don't particularly want to, I have the air conditioner on, It's that hot.

Worse still, a cold front is on its way to South Florida. It passed through Tampa earlier today and caused heavy rains and high winds, and we can expect at least some showers and stiff breezes here tonight. Hopefully that's all we'll get; last night WPLG, the local ABC affiliate, posted a weather forecast on Facebook that included the possibility of strong thunderstorms and even tornadoes. Luckily, the front is still dozens of miles away from here and my computer's AccuWeather app says no precipitation is expected within the next two hours.
Late yesterday evening I went for a walk around the complex. I don't often do this; my attitude about exercising has always been lackadaisical, and I tend to voluntarily go for constitutionals only when I'm restless or upset. I suspect that yesterday it was a combination of both.  I tend to spend too much time sitting in front of a computer writing or hanging out on Facebook, and yesterday I was told that my estranged half-sister has befriended one of my neighbors in order to spy on me and see what I'm doing to my house.

If you're a regular reader of this blog, you probably remember that Vicky and I don't get along well. No...that's sugar-coating things too much. The fact is that we don't get along at all. I'm not going to get into the whys and wherefores right now; I'd probably break the Internet with my rather vitriolic musings about sibling rivalry and dysfunctional family issues, Suffice it to say, however, that I have not seen Vicky since she came by with her cousin Andres to take Mom's Limoge china set as part of her inheritance. I also have not talked to her on the phone or texted her since early October of 2015. I'm content with this status quo; I'm less stressed and much happier, thank you very much.

But yesterday afternoon I got a courtesy visit from Pedro, one of the condo's security guards. He asked me if I was okay and if I needed anything.

"I'm fine, thanks," I replied.

"Oh, okay," Pedro said. "I just wanted to make sure because I know your sister is not supposed to come to your house but I have to let her inside the complex because she's been invited by Mrs. So-and-So."

"Really?" I asked calmly. (In my head, though, I saw unsettling visions of  Mrs, So-and-So and Vicky peeking over my fence or trying to find unlocked doors or windows in order to get inside the house.)

"Yes," Pedro said. "I thought you should be aware of this for your own safety."

"Thanks, Pedro," I said, and as he left on his security guard's golf cart to continue his rounds, I shut the door and locked it. Crap,  I thought. Another problem to worry about. 


Mom, Vicky, and me in happier days
As you can imagine, I was nervous and angry about Mrs. So-and-So and Vicky's new alliance. I've always been on good terms with the neighbor, but the few times that we've talked since Mom died in July of 2015 I've gotten the impression that she would side with my half sister if our cold war ever got hot. Accordingly, I don't visit her at her house even though she told me I'm welcome to go if I need to talk to someone.

I mean...with friends like that, who needs enemies, right?

In other news....

I didn't sleep too well last night, but this morning my mood was brightened by the news that one of my Examiner articles has earned over 2,300 likes (and thousands of page views.)

Last Sunday I wrote Blu-ray news: Disney to release 'The Force Awakens' in 3-disc sets in April, a news article about the possible release date of Star Wars: The Force Awakens on the Blu-ray home video format. I didn't expect it to get many hits, but after I shared it in several Star Wars fan groups on Facebook, it went viral.

Not only has the article received tons of likes (which is quite a nice ego boost for me), but it helped me rise to the top spot of Miami Examiners based on page views. I'm also ranked in fifth place among the Movies Examiners.

I'm sure that my stay at the top will be brief, but it's nice to be Top Dog for once!
The Force, or at least my seldom-used reporter's instinct, is still with me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How many movies have been made based on Stephen King's 'It'?

Talking About Tom Clancy's 'Ryanverse': Was Jack Ryan a Republican or a Democrat?

Movie Review: 'PT-109'