Musings for Saturday, February 20, 2016

Hi there, Constant Reader. It’s 11:03 a.m. EST on a cool Saturday morning in Miami. The current temperature is 76 degrees Fahrenheit under cloudy skies. With an east-northeasterly wind blowing at 15 mph (gusts of up to 21 mph) and humidity levels at 51%, the feels-like temperature is 76 degrees Fahrenheit. So it’s not too chilly here, but not warm enough to turn on the air conditioner.

I have been reading a lot over the past few days. Partly because I have been a voracious reader since I was a child, partly because I am a book reviewer for Examiner, but mostly because I need to read a lot in order to be a good writer. Right now my main focus is non-fiction, with an emphasis on U.S. military and political history. I’m also half-heartedly reading some fiction, especially Stephen King’s 11/22/63 and his epic Dark Tower series.

I used to post my “current reading lists” at the now-defunct Bubblews and the soon-to-be defunct Persona Paper every so often, especially in “blog doldrums days” when my blogging Muse was on sabbatical or when I was excited about what I was reading. In this case, it’s a bit of both. So without further ado, here’s what’s on my reading list for February 2016.

  • ·        Pacific Crucible: The War at Sea in the Pacific, 1941-1942 by Ian W. Toll
  • ·        Guests of the Ayatollah: The Iran Hostage Crisis: The First Battle in America’s War with Militant Islam, by Mark Bowden
  • ·        The Conquering Tide: War in the Pacific Islands, 1942-1944, by Ian W. Toll
  • ·        Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S. Navy, by Ian W. Toll
  • ·        11/22/63: A Novel, by Stephen King


I won’t list any of the Dark Tower novels because I am not properly reading them. I am leafing through some volumes, yes, but not sitting down to immerse myself in King’s popular fantasy series.

That’s it for today, I guess. I might work on my Big Fiction Project later, or I’ll do a review for Examiner. I don’t know what my Muse wants me to do this weekend. I’m sure I’ll be busy at the keyboard either way.

Till next time….

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How many movies have been made based on Stephen King's 'It'?

Talking About Tom Clancy's 'Ryanverse': Was Jack Ryan a Republican or a Democrat?

Movie Review: 'PT-109'